Debenham Tower Mill, c 1912
This photo is dated 1912.
This photo is undated.
This photo is dated 1977.
The above photo was originally taken in black & white in 1972 by Peter C J Dolman for his book "Windmills in Suffolk: A Contemporary Survey"; Published in 1972 by the Suffolk Mills Group.
NOTE From Suzie: The three black and white images above have been digitally enhanced.
This is a large five story Tower Mill, built to replace a Post Mill in 1839 by John Whitmore. It ceased work c. 1934 and was pulled down in December 1962. The two story stump remains as a store. There were four patent sails, an ogee cap and fantail, and three pairs of stones. The cap was blown off in 1918 and was repaired using the sails and gear from Preston Mill in 1920. It originally cost £2,000 to build.1
- 1901 - Frederick Cook
- 1916 - Samuel Webster
- 1921 - Samuel Webster
- 1925 - Samuel Webster
Citations
- [S1895] Peter C J Dolman, Windmills In Suffolk: A Contemporary Survey, Page 16 & Page 41.