The Manor of Giesting al Gosting's or Goslings Hall al Gostelens Hall
The following is taken from "The Manors Of Suffolk" by Walter Arthur Copinger, published in 1905.
This was vested in Robert Cheke, of Blondhall. He was the son of John Cheke and Elizabeth his wife, daughter of John Bacon, of Baconsthorpe, Norfolk. He married 1st Margery, sister of Sir Philip Tilney, and 2ndly Margaret, daughter of Richard Fitz-Williams, and on his death the manor passed to his son and heir, John Cheke, who married 1st Cecilia, daughter of John Southwell, of Barham Hall, and 2ndly Margaret, daugher of Thomas Fastolf, of Pettaugh. To him suceeded his son and heir, John Cheke, who married Anne, daughter of Thomas Fastolf. and sister of Margaret, his father's 2nd wife, and the manor descended to their son and heir, a 3rd John Cheke in succession.
The manor subsequently passed to John Bretton, and on his death in 1636 to his grandson, John Bretton, of Hadleigh. It later vested in Laurence Bretton, rector of Hitcham, who gave it by will to Foster Goodday. Foster Goodday, of Kettlebaston, married Sarah, daughter of --- Breton, of Hadleigh, and George Goodday, his brother married Margaret Breton
In 1847 this manor belonged to Charles Chevallier of Aspal Hall. Later it was sold to the Norris family who resided at "Gostling's Hall," now called "Debenham Hall," for many years.
The Property is now owned by J. W. Read.
The image below is dated about ?.
- after 1490 - Robert Cheke of Blodhall, Lord 1
- 1548 - Death of Robert Cheke of Blodhall, the mano passing to his son John, who was, in turn succeeeded by his son John, and he again, by his son John Cheke. 1
- before 1636 - Manor passed to John Bretton 1
- 1636 - Death of John Bretton, Manor passing to his grandson, John Bretton of Hadleigh, and later to Laurence Bretton, Rector of Hitsham. 1
- 1636 - 1840 - TBA
- 1841 - Samuel Kersey 2
- 1847 - Charles Chevallier owns (absorbed by Harborough Hall)
- 1851 - TBA
- 1861 - James Norris 3
- 1871 - Thomas F Bryant 4
- 1881 - John Wm Read 5
- 1891 - John W Read 6
- 1900 - John Wm Read J.P., farmer & landowner 7
- 1901 - John W Read 8
- 1901 - John William Read 9
- 1912 - John Abbott, farmer 10
- 1916 - John Abbott, farmer 11
- 1922 - John Abbott, farmer 12
- 1929 - Jn Abbott, farmer 13
- 1937 - Jn Abbott, farmer 14
- 1938 - John David Abbott, farmer 15
- 1939 - John D Abbott, farmer 16
- 1945 - John D Abbott, farmer 17
- [S276] W. A. Copinger M.A. LL.D. F.S.A. F.R.S.A., Manors Of Suffolk - Copinger.
- [S28] 1841 Census for England & Wales (online image) "HO107 1038 2 1 Page 3."
- [S26] 1861 Census for England & Wales (online image) "RG9 1155 98 Page 2."
- [S15] 1871 Census for England & Wales (online image) "RG10 1742 93 Page 2."
- [S25] 1881 Census for England & Wales (online image) "RG11 1860 101 Page 21."
- [S16] 1891 Census for England & Wales (online image) "RG12 1462 82 Page 26."
- [S139] Directory, 1900.
- [S3] 1901 Census for England & Wales (online image) "RG13 1768 80 Page 21."
- [S3] 1901 Census for England & Wales (online image) "Class: RG14; Piece: 10752; Schedule Number: 165; Enumeration district: 02."
- [S119] Directory, 1912.
- [S149] Directory, 1916.
- [S705] Directory, 1922 "Page 119-120."
- [S152] Directory, 1929.
- [S132] Directory, 1937.
- [S229] Register Of Electors for Ipswich, 1938/39 "unknown cd."
- [S624] National Register for unknown census place (online image).
- [S228] Register Of Electors for Ipswich, May 1945 "unknown cd."